Saturday, January 9, 2010


If I had but two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy flowers, for they would feed my soul.
How many times have I ooched into our grocery budget to buy flowers when I have stopped by a nursery. I can hardly contain myself when I stop by a nursery. I love it all! Trees, shrubs and flowers!

One of my favorite things to do this time of the year is to look through my new seed catalogs. One of my favorites arrived several weeks before Christmas. I spent the better part of yesterday looking through it and planning my garden for the spring. I can't wait to get out there and start working and planting.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is at the top of my favorite list for seed catalogs. It was started by Jere Gettle a 17 year old homeschooled traditionalist from the Ozarks. It has now grown into the largest selection of heirloom and other unusual seeds from around the world. The catalog is packed full of great pictures, inspirational quotes and a lot of information regarding each seed.

Jere and his wife Emilee are true patriots. They are concerned about the preservation and quality of our food for they see that it is endangered.

They have created a quaint little town in Mansfield, Missouri called Bakersville Pioneer Village. They have Heritage Day Festivals year round. I hope to attend one in May. They have lots of vendors selling seeds, plants, crafts, food, wonderful folk music and lectures on gardening. Sounds like a great time. Also, Laura Engels Wilder's home is not far from Bakersville Pioneer Village.

One of my goals this year is to start my heirloom tomato plants from seed and then to save the seed from the tomatoes so I can plant them next year. This is all new for me so I will keep you posted on my progress.

Just think about this, if we plant heirloom seeds the tomatoes and other vegetables we see growing in our garden may have been the same ones growing in Thomas Jefferson's garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment