Sunday, December 28, 2014

Leftover Roast Beef Sandwich

When I bake a rump roast this is a wonderful way to use the leftovers.  This sandwich is really great and it sure doesn't taste leftover.

It is very simple, just saute some green and red bell peppers along with one onion.  When these are tender set aside.  You could use ciabata bread or a good crisp French roll.  Toast the roll let it cool a little and put on plain mayonnaise or add some basil pesto to the mayo if you have some on hand.  Put on both sides of the roll and put on slices of roast beef and top with your sauted peppers and onions.
Also, you can take one cup on water and add one beef bouillon cube to it and place over medium heat.  When this liquid starts to boil add your slices of roast beef and let this simmer for about 5 minutes.  It really warms up the meat and I think it taste better than added cold slice beef to the sandwich. 
This is how I cook a rump roast and it has wonderful flavor.  I always wash off roast under cool running water and pat dry with paper towel.  Place roast on heavy duty foil.  I put salt and pepper to taste as well as garlic powder.  Then I put on one package of onion soup mix.  If I cooking a 4-6 pound roast I will use 2 packages of onion soup mix.  I don't always do this but you can also slice fresh mushrooms along the sides of the roast. It makes a wonderful mushroom gravy.  I bring the foil up over the sides and crimp it at the top and one end.  The end that is open, I will add about 2-3 cups of water and then close that end of the foil.  I bake the roast at 325 degrees for about 4 hours for a 2-3 pound roast.  If the roast is 4-6 pounds I cook it about 5 1/2 hours. I turn off the oven and let the roast cool down for about 45 minutes.  I've really noticed a difference in the tenderness of the roast when I do this.  Then take the roast out put on a platter and make your gravy.
I make gravy by mixing flour and water together to make a somewhat runny paste.  I empty the broth from the foil into a pan and put the pan on medium heat.  Pour in your flour mixture and stir with a whisk until it thickens.  It turns out great every time and he gravy has wonderful flavor from the soup mix.  It may need a little more salt.  Just taste and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment