Monday, August 25, 2014

Veggie Basil Pesto Lasagna


About mid summer, our family gathered at our daughter's home for Italian night.  I know, it's hot summer and we are eating food that is hot and heavy.  But, I was hearing moans and groans for lasagna.  I had been wanting to try a vegetable lasagna with basil pesto.  So, I made the traditional lasagna and a pan of veggie.  It was good but it was really rich.  It didn't take a very big piece to fill you up.  Sorry about the picture but as usual I forgot to take a picture of the whole lasagna so you are getting a picture of the left overs.  Here is how I made it.

2-3 yellow squash, sliced
2 zucchini, sliced
2 sweet onions, sliced
1 large or 2 medium eggplant, sliced
1 small box of lasagna noodles
1 large cottage cheese
1 small sour cream
1 medium pkg. mozzarella cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
1-1 1/2 cups basil pesto

Saute squash, zucchini, onions in 3 tablespoons of butter until crisp tender. Lightly flour eggplant and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side.  Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.  In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, sour cream, grated mozzarella, and Parmesan.  Stir well until all is incorporated. 

Put a layer of the fried eggplant, then a layer of the veggie mixture, then lasagna noodles, over noodles a very thin layer of pesto and then a layer of the cheese mixture.  Repeat this layering once more.  You will end up with cheese mixture of top.  I put a dollop of pesto in the middle of cheese mixture and with a knife swirled it through the top of cheese mixture. 

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.  Watch it and when it starts to bubble and the top is golden it's done. 

The vegetables I used is what I had on hand.  I thought mushrooms would have been good and I also thought about a layer a fresh tomatoes from the garden that had been squeezed so the lasagna wouldn't be runny.  I really think the tomatoes would have topped it off.  Next time!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment