Friday, August 22, 2014

Alps from Above

Early one Sunday morning I stumbled onto this wonderful show, Alps from Above.  The scenery is so breath taking and beautiful, I literally started to cry.  The show is on every Saturday and Sunday morning at 7:00 on AXS channel.  They have wonderful travel shows on this channel.  Stephen Fry's Across America, Rick Steve's Europe, Paul Meron in India.  I know what you are probably thinking, Travel Shows, really!  But I'm really hooked on travel shows.  Love the narrative, and the music that they play with Alps from Above is beautiful.  Rick Steve's did a wonderful show recently on Iran.  They have some of the most beautiful mosque's I've every seen.  The most gorgeous colors and designs.....just amazing.  When I think of Iran, it's desert, shacks, barren, no vegetation, certainly not desirable.  What he shared was beautiful in a lot of ways.

I have a dear friend in Chickasha who traveled to Italy several years ago with her cousin.  When she returned she was telling me about her trip. They had seen all the sights in Rome and then spent several days in the country.  They stayed at a quaint little country inn and the next morning they got up and went outside.  Much to their surprise, they were very near the Mediterranean.  They walked to a rock wall and looked over the edge to this beautiful turquoise water.  She looked at her cousin and she was crying.  She looked at her questionably and her cousin said,  "it's just amazing to me the beauty of God's creation, it's almost more than I can take in."  I've always remembered her response and that is exactly how I felt as I watch Alps from Above that first morning. 

In Chickasha, Oklahoma we certainly don't have the beauty of the alps but we have the vast plains which permits us to see the most amazing sunrises and sunsets.  Not long after moving to the country, I was coming home one evening from the city as the sun was setting and it was amazing.  As I marveled at the grandeur of this beauty, this thought popped into my mind, " this is my gift to you today." Since that time, I have been the recipient of some of the most spectacular gifts.  Not only the sunrises and sunsets but the most beautiful rising moons.

I'm not special, these gifts are to us all.  We just need to stop long enough to be conscious and take it all in.  And much to your surprise,  you will find the tears running down your cheeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment