Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tomatoes, Tomatoes and More Tomatoes

It's been a very busy month for me. Trying to keep weeds out of the garden as well as the flower beds has been quite a job. The tomatoes are doing great. I made a little mistake in planting :( , I thought I was putting enough space between each plant but they have literatally consumed each other. I didn't want to use tomatoes cages this year, I was going to stake them but the tomatoes are so big they have pulled the stakes over. That's a good problem. Anyway, I am letting them grow every which way and I am performing a great balancing act everyday as I go out and try to wind my way around to pick! If you have never planted heirloom tomatoes, by all means, next year plant them. They have the most wonderful flavor, each one is so distinct and they get huge. I love their colors and their shapes. You can tell they are heirlooms....they are not "perfect looking." The cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy too. I have made some wonderful tasting salsa and salads using the tomatoes. I there is nothing like a good veggie sandwich with a couple of slices of thick tomatoes, a good slice of a sweet onion, garden cucumbers, a great avacado and sprouts if you like. You can use cream chesse with garlic chives for a spread on the bread for the sandwich or make up a basil mayo spread. It's a short trip to heaven! :) My pics are all pictures of my tomatoes plus a beautiful head of cabbage I purchased at our local farmer's market. I plan on making cabbage rolls with it. I've never made them before so I will let you know how they turn out and share the recipe if they are good. That cabbage was so beautiful I just couldn't believe it was grown locally. But this particular farmer also had the best broccoli I have ever eaten and it was just as beautiful. Didn't look anything like what you get at the store. Well, it's starting to warm up a little so give those plants plenty of water and pray that the heat dome will leave! Until next time....Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment