Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gardening Update

I have spent the last two day weeding and hoeing the veggie garden and flower beds. The blueberries are looking good, I have one plant that is looking a little sickly but I don't have a clue why. All the other plants look healthy. I fertilized the blueberries and tomatoes with fish emulsion. As I was pruning my tomato plants, I was surprised to find that they already needed to be stacked. In case you don't know about pruning your tomato plants. You remove the leaves close to the ground as the plant grows so the plant will get good air circulation. I have fertilized all my flowering shrubs also. Hopefully, if we get rain over the weekend all the plants should be in pretty good shape.

The spinach and different lettuces are coming up in my guttering. I took a close up of the guttering so you could see that we attached the guttering to a 1x3 and then my husband put little supports (like little "L" brackets) about every 2 feet to give the guttering support. I also drilled a hole in the guttering for drainage about every foot.

Everything is so green and beautiful. My peach trees are loaded with little peaches. I have the undesirable task of pulling some of them off because there are so many. If I don't do that, they will not develop into large peaches. They would all end up being about the size of a walnut. I don't really like to do that but I do it.

This time of the year there is so much to do and I just can't seem to get it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment