Thursday, July 14, 2011

Roasted Vegetables



Please excuse my bad pictures but they were taken after the fact. I fixed roasted veggies with our fish last night and I tried something different with the veggies and it was so good I went back to take a picture of what little was left. :)

I had some asparagus, red pepper, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and new potatoes. I washed the new potatoes cut them in half and boiled them in some water for about 8 minutes. I wanted them slightly tender. When they cooled I sliced them in half one more time. I then sliced all the veggies except the asparagus and put everything on a baking sheet and drizzled a little olive oil over it all and tossed it with my hands. Put it in the oven for about 25 minutes on 425 degrees. I tossed it once in the oven.

When I was working in my herb garden yesterday I had some dill I needed to use so I picked it. While I was preparing the veggies I thought the dill would taste really good on the veggies. So, while the veggies were cooking in a small bowl I chopped up about 1/4 cup of dill, 2 garlic cloves minced, juice from 1/2 lemon, salt and pepper to taste and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. When the vegetables were finished cooking I removed them from the oven and poured the dill mixture over the veggies and tossed them. We loved the flavor. I love garlic and dill so it was rummy! If your not much of a garlic person you may want to use just one garlic clove.

Just a little tid bit of info. On most days, I chop up one clove of garlic put it in a teaspoon, put it in my mouth and chase it with a glass of water. There are lots of health benefits to fresh garlic. I read a book about the Dulaney sisters years ago and they attributed there long life to a clove of fresh garlic everyday. :) So pop in your garlic and go kiss your husband. :)

After dinner last night, I was thinking that the dill sauce would really be good drizzled over some grilled fish.

I have found that you can eat very healthy by adding lots of flavors (using herbs) to your food that make it very satisfying.

If you don't have an herb garden you have to start one!

No comments:

Post a Comment