Friday, October 15, 2010

AW!! A Cup of Hot Tea


Last year about this time my daughter, Annie and I attended a mini seminar at the Native Roots Market on W. Main in Norman. The seminar was all about tea and it was conducted by The Republic of Tea Company. It was very informative and they demonstrated how to properly brew tea, the times vary depending on what type of tea you are brewing. We probably tried 20 different types of tea. We both really enjoyed it because you see all of these different types of tea and the names sounds wonderful but you don't know if you would like the taste. We received a gift basket with 4 free samples that we didn't try at the tasting.

The Republic of Tea, according to Conde' Nast Traveler, "elevates tea to the status of wine." After our presentation I would totally agree. I never realized the medicinal benefits of teas and what makes green tea different from black tea and then herbal teas different from all others. I bought a wonderful little book that night called "Tea Chings The Tea and Herb Companion." If you are interested at all in tea and its benefits I would recommend it. The book will guide you to the leaves, plants, and manufacture of teas and other botanicals used in making wonderful infusions. It will also tell you the medicinal benefits of teas and herbs from all over the world. What are health benefits of yerba mate', rooibos, chai, and Pu-erh. It's been a great little book.

I started drinking coffee about 10 years ago and I have just one cup every morning. After the first cup, I really don't enjoy the taste that much. I'm not a real coffee drinker but in the winter in the afternoon and evening I really love hot tea. I would also like to recommend a favorite place of mine it's called Urban Tea House on N. May around 70th and sits on the east side of the street. It's the Starbucks for tea. It's a great place to go for a cup of tea and a visit with a friend. She also serves dessert. The owner just opened last year. I hope you try it.....I think you will like it.

I also have pictured the teapot they recommend. It has a cylinder in the middle where you put the tea, you put hot water in the pot and depending on the tea let it set for "x" amount of minutes then push the plunger down through the cylinder and your tea is ready. I found my teapot at Tuesday Morning.

Quoting a passage of Tea Chings, "whether sage or novice a pilgrimage beckons all to celebrate what has been revered for thousands of years as the drink of humanity."

2 comments: