Sunday, September 11, 2016

Vegetable Sandwich and Another New Burger

I love vegetable sandwiches but came up with a little different idea.  After reading about mushrooms several months ago (3 mushrooms a day are a good preventive for breast cancer) but they are better for you if they are cooked rather than raw.  I saw some fresh broccoli sprouts at the store, some great tomatoes, a sweet onion, mushrooms, an avocado so I had no choice but to fix a vegetable sandwich and I have eaten them for 2 days.  I usually make them with a good wheat bread but this time I used ciabatta bread.  I toasted the bread and spread some cream cheese on one side and mayonnaise on the other.  I sautéed mushrooms in about 2 tablespoons of butter and seasoned them with salt and pepper.  The sautéed mushrooms were so much better than the raw.  It made a great difference in the way the sandwich tasted. You could put red and yellow bell peppers on the sandwich.  You can come up with your own combination of veggies.  A vegetable sandwich with a good tomato basil soup is a great dinner or lunch.

Our family was together on Labor Day and we had burgers.  We were trying some new combinations on the burgers.  One of the choices was a Theta burger which I told you about in another post but we came up with a new one that was very delicious.  We sautéed onions, spinach and mushrooms and put this on top of the burger then put grated gruyere cheese on top of veggies.  The veggies were still warm and it melted the cheese. We also had muenster and Swiss to choose from but I love gruyere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment