Saturday, February 27, 2010

Heirloom Wall Hanging Quilt


One of the things I like to encourage clients to do before I come to their home, is to clean out the attic, their closets, and cedar chest. Get out those things you have put away that are meaningful but that you thought you would never use and have everything in a central location so I can see them as I am decorating or I can give them new ideas on how they can decorate the room using these things. There are many ways you can incorporate keepsakes into the decor of your home that will reflect your personality, traditions, what your family is about and what you cherish.

It is becoming more prevalent now, but for years I have encouraged clients to make their home a reflection of who they are as well as making their home a sanctuary. It is very comforting to come home after a hard day and settle into your favorite chair and look around the room at pictures of people you love, objects that belong to love ones and to see things that bring you joy and happiness. It really can lift your spirits if your down.



The quilt that is pictured in this blog has an interesting story. This quilt describes what I want women to see about how something that didn't seem like much can be turned into something very meaningful. For years, my mother keep these quilt squares in her cedar chest. The squares were made by my great grandmother. It was just the plain square with the applique' there was no embroidery on it. After my mother's death, I took the squares and kept them in my cedar chest until about 4 years ago. My daughter's birthday was approaching and I wanted to do something special for her birthday so I took the squares and embroidered around each one. The square with the crochet dress was crocheted by my grandmother. The wall hanging is being quilted now but when it is finished it will hang in my daughter's kitchen. The quilt squares were made by her great great grandmother, the one square with the crocheted dress by her great grandmother, it was saved all those years by her grandmother, her mother embroidered it and put it together. Personally, I love things like that and my daughter does too. It will be something that she will always cherish. As I was writing this, I was thinking about how old the squares would be and they are close to 150 years old.

I will have more ideas coming soon on displaying keepsakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment